Monday, October 18, 2010

stuffing a scarecrow



































































A week or so ago we had a hot dog and marshmallow roast. We let all the kids stuff a scarecrow. They all had a blast! I did too. I really enjoy seeing the kids happy doing simple things. We made apple cider and smores. We all just sat around a big fire and enjoyed each others company. The kids loved cooking something for themselves. There were no mess and no clean up which was a plus all the way around. These are good memories I want to give my kids. Some of the teenagers think they are to old for this kind of stuff and choose to spend time elsewhere, but the ones who were here had a really good time. Having some of my grown kids and grand kids living close is such a blessing too. The grand kids get to participate and are learning valuable lessons some of the others haven't had the opportunity to learn at such an early age.

































Society makes our children think that you have to have a lot of money to be happy. No one teaches family values anymore. Years ago you had to depend on each other just to survive. In today's society it's every man, woman, and child for himself. No one shares, or serves, or gives in. It's all- I had it first, it's mine, and you can't make me. This is even more true with children who have been traumatized. They hoard food, and are always thinking about what they can get. It's really not their fault. It is a survival technique they had to have in order to survive. One of my four year olds came with two siblings. They would not even eat until the baby had something first, and this child wanted to feed her sibling. At four and a half years old this child had not only taken on itself but their sibling too. It's hard after having them so many years and teaching, and loving, and explaining, to remember that these behaviors were from when no one else cared and will always be part of them. I don't think they ever get over it. I think they learn to cope but always remember the feeling of being alone in this world. Then all these feeling lead to behaviors. Then we as a family have to deal with the behaviors.
I've really enjoyed the fall weather. We have done several outing with the family that I'll post picutes of soon. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment