Monday, August 10, 2009

Living with RAD

Living with a child with Reactive attachment Disorder can be a nightmare. Even with lots of experience and many tools, such as books, tapes, therapist and support,parenting children with this diagnosis is extremely hard. However I have had success on 3 out of the 4 of my children that have had this diagnosis. That's not to say I never still little glimpses of the child past. Often times I have to step back and rethink or go about something different for them. A lot of what I've found to be the root of RAD is fear. And fear is of the devil. The children are so afraid of what might or might not happen it hinders them from being "normal". What normal is any more I'm not sure. Most of my children are very successful. The majority have A's and B's , participate in activities, and are overall happy kids. Will this child ever be well?, cured?, I doubt it. However I have learned to deal with it. A lot of manipulation and control is involved. I've delt with it long enough to know how to be evasive, skip over, and ignore some of the things they try and pull me into. You learn to take it one day at a time, not to take it personally, and let a lot of bull go. Just let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment